Replacement locks or upgrade locks
It could be that your current lock is no longer operational, or that you feel you need a more secure, stronger and safer anti-snap lock. Hampson locksmiths in Southampton aim to provide you with the most appropriate replacement locks for your needs, supplied and fitted within your budget.
Our team of dedicated, police cleared and skilled professionals cover all of Southampton and ajoining areas and aim to be with you within 45 minutes of your call.
Types of Replacement Locks
Mortice locks are commonly found on back doors and often on front doors alongside a cylinder rim lock (Yale lock). The advantage of a mortice lock is that a burglar can not smash a window and reach in to unlock the door. It also means that they are unable to escape through the door if they have managed to gain access through a window.
Facts about mortice locks
- Mortice locks are embedded into the door itself and can only be opened with a key.
- Mortice locks have either a 2, 3, 5 or 7 lever mechanism. The higher the number of levers, the more difficult the lock is to pick and the less key variations there are making it more secure.
- Mortice locks require a key turned to activate the deadlock.
- The Home Office recommends fitting 5 lever mortice deadlocks (British Standard BS3621:2004) to external doors.
- Insurance Companies often require a minimum 5 lever mortice lock.
- All mortice locks with a kitemark are compliant to BS3621:2004 and are therefore police approved and insurance compliant.
Cylinder Rim Locks (Yale Locks)
Cylinder rim locks are often called Yale locks (after one of the leading brands) and are found generally on front doors and internal locking doors. Hampson locksmiths replacement cylinder locks will be at least like-for-like quality.
Facts about cylinder rim locks
- A cylinder rim lock, locks automatically when the door is closed, opens with a key from the outside but without a key from the inside.
- Cylinder rim locks are fitted to the surface of the door and mounted to the surface of inside of the door with a connecting cylinder.
- Restricted cyclinders provide protection against unauthorised key duplication. Restricted keys can only be cut with the authorisation of the owner.
- It is recommended to fit a 5 lever or above mortice lock on front doors in addition to a cylinder rim lock to be compliant with insurance company and police security requirements.
More often than not, a burglar obtains access to a property through the window. One in three burglaries in fact. High visibility window locks would mean that a burglar would be unable to smash the window and unlock it to gain access, risking themselves injury by climbing in through broken glass.
In addition, all too often, window lock keys are lost meaning that windows are left unlocked.
Many insurance policies now state that all ground level external windows must have a key operated window lock. We will bear this in mind when providing replacement locks.
Hampson locksmiths can provide and install many different types of window lock. Casement windows, sliding windows, sash windows, UPVC windows, tilt and turn windows, bi-fold windows, metal or wooden windows. Regardless of the number of locks that you require, we will endevour wherever possible to ensure that all of the replacement locks use the same key, saving you having a whole bunch of keys...which often leads to leaving the key in the window or on the window ledge...this is not security savvy and leaves them at risk of getting lost.
24/7 Replacement lock service Southampton and surrounding areas
Hampson locks will provide replacement locks or upgrade locks 24hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.. giving you peace of mind.
Our trusted professional team will be able to advise you of the best replacement locks for your doors or windows and a no obligation survey and quote can be obtained with a single call.
Hampson locksmiths cover extends throughout Southampton areas and not limited to, Romsey, Hedge End, Eastleigh, Totton, Hythe & Waterside, Shirley, Portswood, Bitterne, Woolston, and Fair Oak. Plus surrounding areas as far afield as Winchester. If you are unsure whether your area is covered, please give us a call. However, if you are in Southampton or close, we would be love to help.